Friday, August 25, 2006

Tanzania: The next destination

Okay, so we arrived safely in Addis Ababa. It is a fascinating city - as one book said, it's where the ancient world meets modern Africa. Having never been to any other part of Africa, I can't really comment on its difference, but so far, I love it. We're staying in a house owned by CHAI that is luxurious and ridiculously large. We'll be here for just a few days before we head to Tanzania for about 2 weeks to give a talk to some Tanzanian doctors and then head to the southern part of the country (Mtwara) for about a week to do some resource planning with a rural clinic. After that, we're taking the weekend to go on safari! I anticipate that this will be absolutely incredible, so expect some glorious photos in a couple of weeks.

For now, I'm still aware that African geography is tough, so here's the same map as before, but with Tanzania circled. Be sure to check out the clickable interactive map of Africa in the links on the right to learn more about these countries and all the other wonders of the continent.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit to a bit of parental trepidation about this trip, but to the extent possible your blog is turning it into excitement and shared adventure.

Are you going to Mtwara city or somewhere else in Mtwara province? (Yes, I am doing my homework -- enlarge this map to see.) http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa/tanzania_pol_2003.jpg

Leslie said...

I have never gotten into blogging...but I must say, this is the first one that I have actually anxiously awaited the next comment.

Kate I look forward to all your travel experiences and I really do need to know more about the eye patch trip! Did you really keep it on the entire flight?

Enjoy your trip to Tanzania...Miss you already!